Day 3 of full time living in the RV

Today is day three in the RV full time. On Friday we moved out of the apartment. My husband went to work and it was my responsibility to load the last few items into our RV and hand in our apartment keys. We had until noon to check out so I had plenty of time to get everything ready. At around 11:45 I checked out, left the keys in the apartment, and my dog and I headed to the RV. The RV was loaded with stuff that needed to go to our storage unit as well as a few things that we were donating to Goodwill. So that was my first stop.

After I went to Goodwill I drove all the way to the nearest Container Store to return a few items I had bought there the other day. When that was done I headed to the storage unit but I could not remember the gate code and my husband was not answering his phone. At that point it was around 2:30 in the afternoon and I was exhausted. I decided that rather than hunt around for a parking spot near the storage unit place I’d head to my husband’s workplace and park on the street out there.

We parked next to some shrubs and I climbed into the back with my dog. It was hot, the RV was so full of boxes I could barely move around in there. I made a little space on the bed and laid down with my dog. I started crying, actually. What we’re we doing? Is this what it was going to be like? My dog and I in the hot RV while my husband went to work?

My husband finally answered his phone and came down to check on us. We moved the RV to a better spot and he told me he’d get off work at 4. That wasn’t such a long time so I spent the time reading and at one point fell asleep. When he got off we went to the storage unit and loaded the last of our stuff. The RV was more comfortable already and I was feeling a lot better about it.

Finding a place to park that night was not difficult and I slept soundly, mostly because I was so exhausted and also because I decided to wear ear plugs so that I wouldn’t jump at every sound I heard outside.

The rest of the weekend was spent working on RV chores. We put up the rest of the solar panels which took the entire day Saturday. I will post about this soon! We also put up the rest of the blackout blinds and sorted things out in the storage and took out what we needed in the RV. Sunday was a little bit more relaxed but the RV still needs a lot of work. It’s at least at a point where it is comfortable and livable though.

Today is the first day that I am in the RV and my husband is at work. We woke up at 7 AM and I headed to the gym to workout and shower. After breakfast my husband went to work and I stayed in the RV with the dog. I was so anxious. My heart jumped at every sound. I kept imagining someone knocking on our door and telling us we couldn’t be hanging out in our RV or we couldn’t be parked where we were and that we needed to move. I finally got up and took the dog for a walk. The street we were on was quiet which reassured me. I also spotted a few other RVs down the road some. That reassured me even more. Despite this reassurance, I took my dog to the nearest cafe and we are sitting outside while I write this and sip on tea. I think this being in an RV thing is going to take some getting used to. I hope my anxiety subsides over time.

In the meantime I am trying to keep myself busy with productive activities. Learning to program/build things on my computer, keeping up with this blog, learning other skills in general but it’s going to take some time before I get into a real routine here. I thrive when I have structure and a routine. Since I am unemployed and not in school, structure and routine is something I have to create for myself. It can be hard sometimes.



One thought on “Day 3 of full time living in the RV

  1. SimpleLivingOver50

    Pretty awesome! The anxiety is also a form of excitement as you have made some pretty tough life changes. Spending weekends at a nice campsite in nature will turn things around a bit. I wish you all the luck in the world and have decided to follow your journey. Billy



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s