If you read my blog you know that recently my husband and I decided to live full time in an RV but to also keep a storage unit for when we go back to apartment life and because our RV is tiny and does not have a lot of storage space. I just wanted to list a few of the products that I bought that I loved that we used to help store our things in our storage unit.
Images shown are affiliate links.
- My favorite of the favorites that I bought is a plastic file container with handles shown above to store all of the files we have accumulated last several years. When we lived in an apartment we had a filing cabinet which we had to get rid of and we temporarily put our files into a large plastic bag, which isn’t really the best way to store them. This container keeps everything neat and ordered, and acts as a portable filing cabinet, so if I really need it, I can take it out of storage and use it. its great!
- The next item we used a lot of were these storage bins by Sterilite.
I used these to pack our clothing and linen and placed them near the front of our storage unit for easy access. These stack easily, are easy to carry, and are not very expensive.
- What’s my solution to keeping my clothes and linen in good condition? These cedar wood balls which are a natural moth repellent. These things are great and I think they smell good too. I put them in all of our storage bins that contain clothing, and I use them inside the RV as well. I don’t want our things to be destroyed in our storage unit. That would be the worst case scenario I think. Paying money every month to keep things only to find they were ruined in that time.
- Along the same lines as the cedar balls I also purchased anti moth satchets by Colibri.You can get these in many different scents and they smell so good. I keep these in the RV as well inside of our storage compartments.
- Lastly, we have a plastic drawer set inside of our storage unit like the one pictured below:
We keep one like this near the front of our unit for easy access and keep our frequently used clothing in it. I also placed anti moth sachets inside the drawers to protect the clothes. Now when we visit the unit we can easily access any clothes we want without having to dig through everything and the drawers makes it feel kind of like a closet.
That’s it for my storage unit favorites! Do you have any tips for long term storage? Particularly anything that will help protect furniture and clothing? Please leave a comment. I appreciate it!